Silver Spun Goods
Through her curiosity and love of knitting, Laurie Gonyea (she/her) discovered the magical and therapeutic properties of yarn spun with pure silver. The only problem was that this extraordinary material was not being produced in the US for the hand knitting market. Laurie set out to change that.
In 2013, Laurie teamed up with North Carolina State University to produce the first-hand knitting yarn in the US using American-grown cotton and pure silver, calling it Silver Spun®. Together, they created a revolutionary yarn that is as warm as wool, soft as butter, kills odor-causing germs, and needs fewer washes.
For six years Silver Spun® was only available to knitters, but Laurie always had bigger plans for her yarn. She wanted to make the therapeutic qualities of this yarn available to everyone! The result is a collection of super cozy socks that are kind to your skin and the world around you. Each collection is designed and made in the US, crafted with the finest fabrics, infused with pure silver, and produced in limited runs.
What inspired Silver Spun Goods?
After selling my SILVER SPUN® yarn to just knitters for a number of years, I decided that I wanted more people to enjoy its therapeutic properties. Realizing that more people WEAR socks than know how to KNIT them, I decided to start a sock company!
How would you describe Silver Spun Goods to a friend?
I would tell them these 10 things:
1. All of our socks are knit with SILVER. Silver kills odor-causing bacteria, assists in eliminating germs and conducts energy. This makes for a no-stink, germ-free, super cozy sock.
2. Because of the odor killing properties, our socks need to be washed less often. Less washes means longer lasting garments, which means one less garment finding its way to a landfill!
3. A number of our socks are knit using a sustainable yarn, either up-cycled wool or cotton/recycled plastic bottles.
4. The fiber for our 100% cotton socks is sourced locally, thereby keeping our carbon footprint small.
5. Our cotton socks are dyed using only natural dyes.
6. Our sustainable fiber socks are 100% dye-free, and get their unique colors from a color blending process that uses no chemicals or water.
7. All of our socks are packaged in re-usable canvas draw-string bags that are hand sewn by a woman’s cooperative in India. (These are the only items that we source outside the US, but we love what they stand for and want to support them!)
8. All of our packaging is eco-friendly. The poly shipping bags we use are made from 100% recycled plastic. The shipping labels are made from 100% post-consumer waste.
9. We give back to our communities. 2021’s Community Partner is Sustainable Start, a non-profit organization that was started by a group of NYC high school students. They pass out hygiene kits to the homeless, which include our socks.
10. We are a 100% American-made, woman-owned company (except for the canvas bags).
What are your individual core values?
How do your friends describe you?
Creative, ambitious, funny and kind.
How do you want to be remembered?
I hope that people will remember that I started this company in my basement, with really no money, and that I built into one of the most successful sock companies out there.
What's the best way to get in touch for questions and support?